Only 7% of trips in Tenerife during the hours of greatest traffic congestion correspond to tourists with rental cars. The remaining 93% is carried out by motorists residing on the Island.
The information was noted by the vice president of the Cabildo, Lope Afonsoin the last Meeting Point of the NOTICE DIARY Foundation, in which he outlined the main measures promoted by the island institution to alleviate a problem that occurs every day on the highways of the South and North. In Tenerife there are 840 cars per thousand inhabitants and 80% of trips are made by private vehicle, according to the latest studies on mobility.
While waiting for the large infrastructures underway to move forward (some in the execution phase and others already awarded), part of the solution involves, in Afonso’s opinion, reducing the demand for travel. To this end, it advocates for “more use, but also better use” of the bus – the Cabildo has set the objective of increasing the number of passengers from 6% to 15% at the end of the current mandate -, with services that facilitate staggering movements and avoid, as far as possible, the coincidence of the majority of users on the same time scale, although it recognized that “encouraging collective mobility is not enough.”
In that sense, he pointed out other measures that go in the same direction, such as the protocol signed with the hotel association Ashotel to try to “schedule” the mobility of workers in the tourism sector in areas such as Costa Adeje, with a high concentration of hotels and, therefore, of workers, through measures such as on-demand transportation with an application that Titsa has made available for this protocol.
A third action, explained Afonso, involves the “decentralization” of certain services to bring them closer to the citizens of the south and north of the Island. “The Cabildo is planning the lease or acquisition of properties to expand the range of services and facilitate the procedures administrative,” he noted.
For her part, the mayor of Arona, Fátima Lemes, was in favor of “working hand in hand” with the Cabildo and announced the upcoming creation of the Transport and Mobility Board. The councilor recalled that her municipality, the one with the largest population in the South, is also the one with the most road traffic in the region. In addition, she denounced that public transportation works “very poorly,” as it does not adjust, she said, to territorial dispersion or the needs of citizens.
After lamenting the “abandonment” of the road infrastructure in Arona, he called for “acting now” while the major works progress, “which are very necessary,” since “waiting is not effective and we are already late.” Regarding traffic congestion in Los Cristianos and around the port, Fátima Lemes asked to “sit down now to evaluate the freight traffic and what possibilities there are with the port of Granadilla in terms of alternative routes or other types of actions.”
From the Circle of Entrepreneurs and Professionals of the South of Tenerife (CEST), its president, Javier Cabrera, told NOTICE DIARY the need to start “as soon as possible” projects already awarded, such as the false tunnel of the TF-1 between Playa de Las Américas and Fañabé, with a budget of 90 million euros, and requested that “the technical reviews do not represent a new delay”.
He also demanded that the works on the third lane between San Isidro and Los Cristianos “be carried out immediately, especially in the section from Oroteanda to Los Cristianos, which is where the big bottleneck is.”
Javier Cabrera claimed to “not remain lost in planning and discussions” and called for “surgical” actions, in reference to smaller works, while waiting for the major road infrastructures to be completed. “They would help to cope with the situation of collapse that we are suffering,” he added.