Pedro Martín visited yesterday the works of Polígono de La Campana, in the municipality of El Rosario. The president of the Cabildo was able to see how the resumption of work to rehabilitate the industrial zone is going after a two-year hiatus. Martín announced that “shifts will be doubled” with the aim of speeding up execution times. In addition, he proposed that the companies hold periodic meetings to give a detailed account of the progress and recalled that 90% of the investment of 13 million euros is provided by the island corporation “to provide solutions for those who carry out their work there.” Regarding planning, Pedro Martín assured that “it will be coordinated with the companies, from Monday to Sunday, so that in no case will they hinder the normal development of their activity.”
The island president toured the areas where the first works to improve the facilities are being carried out, as well as the construction of rainwater systems. He was accompanied on the visit by the insular councilor of Employment, Socioeconomic Development and External Action, Carmen Luz Baso; the CEO and the construction manager of Gestur, Juan Miguel Martín Zarza and Manuel Galván, as well as the president of the Conservation Entity of the La Campana Industrial Park, Facundo García, along with other business representatives and the winning joint venture.
“Thanks to the insular investment of 1.5 million, La Campana has its own treatment plant”
Pedro Martín emphasized the situation of “deterioration and abandonment” that the La Campana industrial estate has been dragging for many years.
He stressed that with these works “we hope to be able to solve it once and for all.” He appreciated that this will meet one of the objectives set out in the mandate: to give a definitive boost to the activity of the more than 300 companies that operate in the area. Pedro Martín recalled that since the arrival of the current government team, the necessary steps to solve this situation began to be taken.
Regarding the planning of the works, he assured that they will be carried out “in a coordinated manner” with the companies of the polygon, so that in no case do they hinder the normal development of their activity. In this sense, he proposed that the businessmen hold periodic meetings to give them a detailed account of the works.
The president of the conservative entity of the polygon, Facundo Santana, highlighted “the dialogue” that the insular government maintains with businessmen in the area. He also thanked the president for his proposal to be able to follow up on the work.
President Martín added that this project joins other investments by the Cabildo to respond to the serious problems in the area. He added in this regard: «La Campana is the first industrial estate in Canary Islands in having its own treatment plant to treat its wastewater”. He explained that thanks to the insular investment of 1.5 million euros “a solution has been found to a historical municipal problem.”
Pedro Martín who also highlighted the investment to improve rainwater collection and prevent water runoff from reaching the highway in the event of rain.
The island councilor Carmen Luz Baso, for her part, explained that the execution of the works “involves the hiring of a team of 20 people.” They will be divided into two shifts, so that the tasks can be kept active seven days a week.
Baso added that before starting the work, road markings, both horizontal and vertical, and signage have been reinforced, in addition to repairing the manhole covers and the manholes on the road, which were dangerous for the intense traffic vehicle circulation.
The counselor clarified that the list of planned works also includes improvements to sanitation facilities, public lighting, telecommunications, low and medium voltage facilities, as well as asphalting and paving throughout the area.
Also contemplated in the rehabilitation process of the industrial estate is the renewal of the water supply and fire fighting network, in which many points are in a poor state, which causes continuous water leaks. In addition, a pressure reducing valve will be placed to avoid overpressure in some areas of the pipeline.
The Cabildo faces 90% of the cost
90% of the cost of rehabilitation is borne by the Cabildo and the remaining 10% by businessmen (9%) and the El Rosario City Council (1%). The Rosariero industrial estate is one of the most important workplaces in the insular Metropolitan Area, attended daily by 2,500 people from 300 companies. In March 2020, the reform began after the company Construcciones Abaldo SA won a contest. At the beginning of 2021, the Cabildo terminated the contract upon detecting irregularities. Now running the Temporary Business Union (UTE) Satocan, Hidrotec and Ten Asfalto. Its cost is 13 million euros compared to 9 million for the other project. | JDM