The Ministry of Health of Canary Islands Government announced yesterday that they are studying 14 possible cases Of the new subvariant BA.2 from omicron in Tenerife, a suspicion that will be cleared up at the end of next week, the expected date for knowing the result of the sequencing study. However, the health authorities have indicated that of these 14 cases, three meet home isolationand the rest are already highwithout registering complications due to Covid-19. “Only one of the cases, a newborn, was hospitalized for a few days in clinical surveillance as a precaution and given his favorable evolution, he was discharged after three days,” they say.
What is known so far about this subvariant, according to experts, is that it has more contagious capacity -greater transmissibility- than the BA.1 variant of omicron, but not more serious. The omicron variant is present in 98.3% of all infections diagnosed in the last week; while delta has only been reported in 0.8% of positives.
Yesterday, Health notified two deaths, -one pending validation-, which raise the number of fatalities from Covid in the Canary Islands to 1,475 during the pandemic, 0.55% of cases
This follows from the results disseminated by the genomic surveillance network for Covid-19 in the Canary Islands, which includes a protocolized system for the detection, monitoring and control of the presence of the different variants of SARS-Cov2 in the Islands, whose results they are communicated weekly to the Ministry of Health, as is protocol for all communities.
Of the 104,876 active cases, there are currently 662 people hospitalized -0.6%-, two more than the previous day, of which 581 are admitted to the ward and 81 to the ICU
Health reported 578 infections yesterday and, for the first time this year, there has been a slight decrease in active cases, with 104,876 compared to 105,039 recorded on Sunday.
In this first week of February, the health authorities have reported a total of 7,857 cases of Covid-19, which is 67% less than in the first seven days of January, when 23,985 infections were recorded. However, it must be taken into account that in both periods there is a difference of 48% in the number of diagnostic tests carried out to detect the infection in the Islands: 86,085 tests between January 1 and 7 and 44,605 between January 1 and 7. February.
Of the 104,876 active cases, there are currently 662 people hospitalized -0.6%-, two more than the previous day, of which 581 are admitted to the ward and 81 to the ICU. The rest, 99.4%, -a total of 104,214-, are isolated in their homes with mild or asymptomatic symptoms.
Mortality also continues to increase, after two deaths from Covid-19 were reported yesterday, one in Gran_Canaria, that of an 88-year-old man with previous pathologies and in hospital admission; and another in Fuerteventura, which is pending validation by the General Directorate of Public Health. With both deaths, the number of fatalities from coronavirus in the Canary Islands in the two years of the pandemic rises to 1,475 -0.55% of the diagnosed cases-. In the first week of January, 44 deaths were reported, and in the last seven days there have been 57.
19% of administered doses are booster
The vaccination teams of the Canary Islands Health Service (SCS) have administered 4,195,202 doses of vaccines against Covid-19, of which 787,147 correspond to booster doses against the coronavirus, which represents about 19%. Until yesterday 4,195,202 doses of vaccines against Covid. In the Canary Islands there are already 1,824,764 people who have received at least one dose, which represents almost 87% of the target population in which children between 5 and 11 years of age have been included. In addition, until Sunday, 1,713,213 people had been immunized who had already received the complete vaccination schedule, which represents 81.67% of the target population of the Archipelago. Health has 28 enabled spaces and two vacuguaguas for mass vaccination in all age groups for first and second doses, as well as for booster vaccinations. At the head of these spaces there is a team of 1,516 professionals, of whom 1,062 are nurses, 183 nursing assistants, 116 administrative assistants, 76 medical personnel, 78 guards and two drivers. | LP/DLP