The City Council of Santa Cruz de Tenerife has already tendered or executed more than 68% of the budget assigned to the European DUSI Anaga strategy. In total, the paid projects add up to 3.5 million euros, while those already tendered amount to 8.5 million euros, which makes a total of 12 million of the 17.6 that this strategy has, supported fundamentally by European funds.
The Councilor for Finance of the Capital City Council, Juan José Martínez, has indicated that the degree of compliance with the different thematic objectives is progressing “at a good pace” and has thanked the public workers of the City Council “for their commitment to complete a project that represents a commitment in favor of the intelligent economy and sustainability in a good part of the municipality”.
To promote its development, more than a year ago a commission was created that has been in charge of carrying out an exhaustive follow-up of each of the projects, a commission that has served as the basis for constituting the one that carries out the same work focused on the Next funds Generation. This impulse has allowed that right now 92% of the budget already has the approval of the European Union for its development.
The Strategy for Sustainable and Integrated Urban Development (DUSI) of the Anaga district was born as a commitment to smart economy and sustainability in the capital. Its total budget is 17.6 million euros, financed 85% by the European Union, while the remaining 15% is contributed by the City Council, and its fundamental objectives include, among others, the incorporation of new technologies in the provision of public services, as well as the respectful use of the tourist attraction together with the enhancement of the natural and historical heritage.
Regarding the projects carried out, all those related to the implementation of new technologies in communication with citizens stand out, as well as the incorporation of new hybrid buses into the urban transport service that improve the sustainability of said public service. Projects are also underway, such as improving the energy efficiency of lighting in this district, as well as different works to improve accessibility on roads, highways and other public spaces in Anaga.
Regarding the enhancement of heritage spaces, among others, the projects of the Hacienda de Cubas and the Castillo de San Andrés stand out, which are about to be put out to tender so that the works can begin as soon as possible.